These are the the veggie’s I had in the fridge this time around and I also had some beautiful bright mustard greens as well.
Allspice and cinnamon pairs well with the apple, carrot and onion. Both of these spices are also used often in Middle Eastern dishes which I grew up eating. The apple cider vinegar enhances the apple flavor and produces a nice tangy taste that adds to the sweet spiciness of this meal. I chopped the trio of carrot, onion and apple and sautéed with spices first, adding salt and pepper to taste.
Then I incorporated the greens into the saute’, carefully adding the cider vinegar and some Tamari.
I then put on some millet to boil to go with the veggie’s. Millet is a great grain that is quick and very good for you, it has a nutty flavor and good protein. It is also a budget friendly grain that packs a punch of nutrients instead of white rice which is cheap but lackluster in the health department. I’m not totally knocking white rice, I love me some good Jasmine and Basmati rice, but millet is healthier and delicious. I always boost my grains by adding some type of seasoning. I put in some cumin seeds, salt and white pepper.
I packed the millet in a measuring cup, 1/2 cup, and spooned the veggie saute’ around the mound of millet. Beautiful, but I didn’t hesitate to devour it!
I then had seconds, always!
Yum Food!! Yum Art!!
© [Jay Mora-Shihadeh] and [thepainterspalate.wordpress.com], . Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material, artwork, or photo’s without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to [Jay Mora-Shihadeh] and [thepainterspalate.wordpress.com] with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
- Fall in Love with Millet (pocketfulofoats.wordpress.com)
- Guest Post: Vegetable Millet Pilaf (thisamericanbite.com)
- Millet Kasha with Pumpkin: Sweet and Savory (rbth.ru)
- Kitchari Kitcharee Kitchadee (lotusmanifesto.wordpress.com)
- Herbed Collards w/Navy Beans (healingfoodculture.wordpress.com)
- JEERA/ZEERA RICE ( Cumin Flavored Rice ) (thegrubshack.wordpress.com)
- Let Vinegar Help You Fight The Battle Of The Bulge (personalliberty.com)
- Hearty Vegetable Stew (bangordailynews.com)
- Fattoush (acedarspoon.com)
- Vagarelu Khaw (Spiced Rice) (khojicook.wordpress.com)